Monday, August 19, 2013

Jesus the Man

I believe that Jesus Christ was God incarnate. I believe he showed us who God was, what it means to be children of God and a better vision for the world. I believe he enabled us to be reconciled with God and become agents of change in this fallen world and take part in building Shalom. 

I also believe that he was anatomically 100% male. I find no where in the gospels any teaching or instruction from the mouth of Jesus that implies different expectations of male and female disciples. When he picked up children and put them on his lap, he was 100% male. Not as someone once told me 'in touch with his feminine side' he didn't have one. When he wept, had compassion, washed feet he was 100% anatomically male. 

When he laid down his life for humanity he didn't do it by leading a military uprising. Didn't prepare for it by watching hours of Braveheart. He suffered abuse, shaming and torture from people who toke power over him. I cannot see how testosterone was at all necessary or helpful in that situation.  

As Dworkin said there is a reason feminists haven't taken up arms and it's not the lack of knives in the kitchen. We believe in men Jesus believed in men he believed they were human. My plea to Christian men ask what does it mean to be human and what does it mean to be like Jesus in our humanity get that sorted then ask what does it mean to be a man - though you will probably be side tracked on a mission to bring justice, equality and salvation by then. 


No comments:

Post a Comment